Sunday, March 1, 2009

Road to Siam Reap

From Poipet I traveled three hours by taxi to Siam Reap. Dealing with Cambodia's Ministry of Tourism was a hastle. They try to scam you hard. And if you don't comply, they get angry. In the end, some Irish girls and I found a good deal on a driver; 1800 Baht for the ride paid upon arrival. We split it three ways. On this road there are no lanes. Drivers travel in the middle of the road and sort of move to the side as oncoming traffic appears. Cambodian drivers also like to use their horn as they pass other drivers. There was a constant din of honking the entire three hour ride. Along the way we encountered an overturned tractor trailer carrying empty plastic barrels. At the time it only made me slightly nervous. But the night before I left Cambodia it rained and this dirt road became a mud road. I was traveling by bus. Buses make me nervous. I feel completely unsafe when I travel on a bus. Having remembered this overturned tractor trailer from earlier, I now thought I might die on a bus in Cambodia.



1 comment:

  1. ㅋㅋㅋㅋ This story reminds me of when I was travelling in Egypt!! haha...I felt very nervous because taxi and bus drivers were always honking driving whole time Hehe...scary! Hahaha I like that part, your last sentence!! obviously!!haha can't stop laughing!! sorry.>.<

    ReplyDelete